Pages

8.10.16

Neue Schule Turtle Tactio Review

For many years I have had a love affair with the Myler Comfort Snaffle, I hacked, jumped and even went Autumn hunting in it...and it wasn't until our flat work started to get serious that I questioned it?

I began to have regular lessons with a dressage trainer and my riding developed some consistency. Picking up a contact and asking for shape I noticed Oscar would draw back, go weightless and occasionally behind the contact. Relying on the ever knowledgeable Emma from The Horse Bit Shop I trialed a couple of bits and settled on the Sprenger KK Ultra loose ring snaffle.

I soon found I couldn't hack in the Sprenger KK Ultra, my breaks were somewhat iffy and this told me much more about the Myler Comfort Snaffle than it did the Sprenger. On the flat Oscar wasn't drawing back as before but I wasn't 100% convinced, so kept an open mind.




This open mind led me to enquire into the Neue Schule Turtle family of bits. I learnt that they sit further back in the horses mouth, it's normal to lower cheek pieces by 1/2 - 1 hole and that they are flatter, smoother and designed this way for comfort. The turtle, aka lozenge sits in the centre of the tongue, drawing away from the pallet therefore ideal for Oscar being a Connemara with a typically fleshy mouth.



After our first ride in the Neue Schule Turtle Tactio, Oscar felt a little heavier in my hand, this can be a sign of comfort and as he was incredibly quiet in his mouth it made sense...I found he soon lightened and had more lift through his shoulders once our communication was established again.



Fast forward from trialing the bit in May, purchasing in June and now October I continue to ride all my flat work in the Neue Schule Turtle Tactio and both Oscar and I happier than ever with this bit, definitely one to consider on sensitive horses or those with big tongues and small/fleshy mouths.



Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx