Pages

7.3.16

PS of Sweden Elegance Revolution Bridle


Oscar needed a flatwork bridle...I jump and hack out in a different bit to the one we wear for our flatwork and for years I've duly changed it dependant on the days exercise routine, whipping off the martingale to practice our dressage moves! Some evenings I huffed and puffed at the effort and it was forever on my list of things to do to search for a smart black bridle, so when I discovered the beautiful brand PS of Sweden, I knew it was time to invest and separate my two disciplines.


I choose not to use a flash, I believe less is more until proven otherwise and this dictated my choice of bridle as PS of Sweden only offered one - or possibly two, my memory fails me - with detachable flash strap, I chose the Elegance Revolution Bridle.

PS of Sweden bridles are instantly recognisable, they're patented design is like no other, they're not afraid to be different. The crown piece of every bridle is shaped to reduce pressure behind the sensitive ears and extra padding offers more space for the ears to move naturally, at first I was taken aback by the size of the head/crown piece, Oscar only has a little head and I didn't want it to overcrowd him but it doesn't look over big when worn and he continues to be soft and flexible at the poll when wearing it - his bridle path however has trebled in size.

"We believe in innovation - and we want to be in the forefront"

The cheek pieces are rolled leather with hidden french hooks and elastic inserts that PS of Sweden call 'cradles' these allow the bit to be suspended in the horses mouth. PS of Sweden say this can relieve poll pressure however aren't British Dressage legal in the UK. Out of curiosity I rode with the cradles for the first few wears of the bridle, Oscar being the clever pony he is learnt he had extra give, and once the elastic was at full capacity threw in a head toss. I think the cradles gave Oscar an inconsistent contact, one that he then tried to take control of, with a young horse these may be beneficial in building confidence when first introducing a contact. Thankfully they're easily snipped and as I said above, not dressage legal therefore wouldn't have been something I'd have kept.


The noseband is gorgeous, shiny and padded and shiny and black and soft and....shiny! You get the idea, it has rolled edges with a detachable rolled flash that is easily removed, and a padded chin plate with a crank buckle.

Everything is a little bit special about the PS of Sweden brand and the browbands are no exception. Using a design called 'Click-It', these do exactly what they say and 'click' into place with the blue PS logo on the side. This means you can change the look of your bridle without taking it to pieces and putting it together again, the Elegance Revolution came with a rolled black leather browband and I couldn't resist changing it for their Rainbow Dream design, a row of sparkly beads that shimmer all the colours of the rainbow in the sunshine, it's dreamy.


You might notice one thing missing...throat lash anyone? PS of Sweden' range of bridles do not have throat lashes, for dressage Oscar and I don't need one, if you felt you did though you can order one online with your purchase to attach to the bridle.

PS of Sweden finish their bridles with gun metal buckles and English vegetable tanned leather, I found to be very soft and easy to care for, it didn't take any "wearing-in" I immediately found it soft and supple.

So far my review has been full of superlatives, but there is one negative I have to honestly discuss...the sizing?! I ordered cob size, Oscar wears a cob size in his headcollars and other bridle. I found the cheek pieces to be too long and the noseband too small (I like a crank to be worn loosely), thankfully there was enough leather to punch in more holes which has allowed it to fit beautifully but it has left me curious about how Swedish cobs differ to ours here in the UK? Maybe I could offer Oscar as a model?

Oscar instantly accepted his PS of Sweden bridle, it's style and appearance are hard not to love. We've been using it successfuly since July 2015 and I'd very much like to own more from this brand, who knows maybe one day soon we'll be schooling in a double bridle...? And the less I look at the High Jump Revolution Bridle the better it will be for my bank balance - picture featured below taken from the PS of Sweden website of the innovative bridle:


My PS of Sweden parcel was courier by UPS, I received my bridle, beautifully wrapped and packaged the same week I placed my order.

Thank you for reading, Jessica and Oscar xxxx